09 10

Monday 27 October 2014

Green Beans with Spicy Cheese Sauce

I've never been much of a fan of vegetables.  My preference is corn.  It's the only vegetable I would say I actually fully liked.  However, I can't live my life - or dare to call myself a "foodie" - just eating corn, so I will experiment with other vegetables.

Sometimes, those vegetables need a little jazzing up.  So while making dinner one night I thought I would make a simple cheese rue. After making it, all I could think of was "been there, done that", so I decided that the simple sauce needed some spicing up.  So I did just that - added spices, and gave it just the kick it needed.

This is a little on the "mild" side, so if you prefer spicy, go ahead and add more.

Spicy Cheese Sauce for Vegetables

Recipe by Fluudbloggler
Ingredients
  • 1 cup Half & Half cream or whole milk
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese
  • 2 tbsp goat cheese (yes I said goat cheese, my favourite of the cheeses)
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp chilli powder
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • pinch salt
Cooking Directions
  1. In a small pan mix the flour and cream until smooth.
  2. Cook over medium/low heat until warm, add butter until melted.
  3. Continue cooking until sauce boils and thickens.
  4. Add all spices.
  5. Add both cheeses and whisk until fully melted and creamy.
  6. Pour over any cooked vegetables such as fresh green beans, broccoli, cauliflower.
  7. Keep warm until ready to serve, however, if left on its own it may form a coating on top.  If this happens just use the whisk until creamy again. 
  8. This recipe is enough for at least 4 servings because a little goes a long way.  Any left-over that you can't use right away, can be refrigerated and added to mashed potatoes the next day!
In this particular instance, I used fresh green beans as my vegetable.  I prefer my green beans a little on the crunchy side.  So I usually just pan fry them for about 10 minutes in a little bit of olive oil, with salt & pepper.



Served with Lemon Baked Tilapia and Coconut Rice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment