09 10

Monday 21 July 2014

Scones English Style




I am a patriotic Canadian, am proud to say I'm Canadian to the world, however, I was actually born in England.  I only lived there for 3 1/2 years out of my life, so most of my cooking influences are Canadian through and through.  I did decide several years ago though, to try to make English Scones.

They quickly became popular with friends and relatives and I had many requests for them.  Two different people asked me for them as their birthday present.  Along with the birthday present, I made a book for them called "Make a girl a scone, she eats scones for a day, teach a girl to make a scone, she can make scones for life".  Long title I know, but you get the idea.  So I've decided to share my scones recipe so you too can make them for life if you like.

FYI the correct ENGLISH pronunciation is Sconns, not Scones with a long O (even though it's spelled that way - hey I never said English made any sense).

These are great for morning breakfast, snacks, and even dessert.  The recipe can be easily adapted to add raisins, dried cranberries, blueberries. I often will make 6 plain and 6 with fruit. They can be served plain, or with butter, jam, or if you want authentic English, clotted cream.  Enjoy!

Scones for Life

  • 2 cups flour
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup cold butter
  • 2/3 cup cold milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp. additional white sugar
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup dried fruit.
Combine flour, baking powder, 1/2 cup white sugar, salt.

Cut butter into small pieces with a knife and mix in with pastry knife or stand mixer until crumbly.





Divide dough into two.  For 6 plain and 6 fruit scones, add 1/4 cup fruit to one, if making all with fruit, add 1/4 cup each.


Form into equal balls, place on baking sheet, and press down slightly.




Score each ball into 6 triangles, and sprinkle additional sugar on top.



Separate triangles from each other but still keep them close together. (Make sure you don't skip this step.  If you don't separate them, the middle tends to not cook properly, if you totally separate them, they will not be as soft.


Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.  Best served warm, about 10 minutes out of the oven. 


* You can also add white chocolate chips or dried apricots.  I wouldn't dry a wetter fruit like raspberries or strawberries though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment