09 10

Friday 11 July 2014

Rice Cooker Madness



The humble rice cooker.  Guess what?  It's not just for rice.

Of course, if you have one, you know how much easier it is to make rice using one.  If you don't have one, and you like rice, they are cheap go and buy one today!  If you don't have one, and aren't particularly FOND of rice, you still need one if you like any of the food choices listed below. I bought a Black & Decker model at Canadian Tire.

So.....you may ask.  What can I do with my rice cooker?

Rice (obviously)

The cooker will come with instructions on how to cook various types of rice.  I basically just do exactly what I would do if I was cooking rice on the stove top. Put in the rice, salt, butter and water, hit the cook button, and when it's ready, it will switch itself to warm mode and you're done.

Steamed vegetables

Mine came equipped with a little plastic basket.  Put water in the bottom of the cooker, put the plastic piece in, place veggies in basket, and steam away.



Quinoa

Yep, quinoa.  I'm not a big fan of quinoa, my apologies to those of you who love it.  However, the first couple of times I made it, I used my rice cooker.  Below is one recipe that I tried. And considering I'm not a fan, I enjoyed it.

Macaroni and Cheese

This is actually my favourite thing to make in my rice cooker.  The recipe below, is the yummiest mac & cheese I've ever eaten, and so easy to do.  Sorry I don't have a picture of this right now.

Risotto

You can make risotto in your rice cooker.  You still have to pay attention, and add the liquid as you go, and occasionally stir, but you don't have to watch it as MUCH as you normally do cooking on the stove top.


Rice Cooker Eggplant Quinoa

1 cup quinoa
1 cup coconut milk
3/4 cup chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
1/4 cup white wine (optional - if you choose not to add wine, use 1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup chopped eggplant

Place all ingredients in slow cooker, stirring once, until done.

Best Ever Rice Cooker Mac & Cheese

1 cup macaroni noodles (or any other small noodle) uncooked
1/2 cup chicken stock or water
1/42cup heavy cream or 1/2 and 1/2 cream
3/4 cup shredded mixed cheeses - cheddar, mozzarella, parm, goat cheese - whatever you like
1  tbsp butter
1/4 tsp salt & pepper
1/2 pinch of cayenne pepper - 1/2 pinch is NOT much, so don't overdo it.

Place noodles and liquids into rice cooker and set to cook.
When cooker switches to keep warm mode (about 15 minutes), add the other ingredients until well blended and serve.

If anybody reading this blog has tried other things in their rice cookers, please comment to me, I'd love to try your ideas as well.









No comments:

Post a Comment